Sunday, May 17, 2009

Mafalde Saffron Pork

I bought these "Mafalde" Garofalo (a notoriously good Italian brand) from Culina, and I decided to make them with whatever I had in the fridge or freezer. This is what I pulled out of my fridge/freezer:
  • Japanese shabu shabu pork
  • peas
  • some frozen beef stock cubes
  • pecorino cheese (you can use Parmesan)
  • garlic, shallots, spring onions
  • capers
  • saffron (also previously bought from Culina)
  • 2 eggs.
This is what I made out of these ingredients...

I soaked the saffron into hot water for 15-20 minutes, in order to release its aroma.

I prepared a base by frying the pork in olive oil with the chopped shallots, a squashed clove of garlic and a little dry white wine. I then added the fish stock, salt, the peas and capers and the spring onion towards the end (I like this ingredient to remain fresh).

I then prepared an emulsion with 2 yolks (for 2 people), a dash of wine vinegar and the saffron water. As usual, to prepare the emulsion whisk the yolks within a pot with a handle, holding the pot on the water you use to boil the pasta when it reaches boiling temperature. While whisking the yolks, add some extra melted butter/olive oil and keep whisking. Add in some hot water if the mixture becomes too firm. Make the emulsion light, dense and bubbly, then add the pecorino or Parmesan and give it one last whisk.

Finally, boil the Mafalde in salted water, drain them and saute' them for about 30 seconds into the pan where you prepared the base of the sauce. Finally arrange on a plate with the pork and pees on top, and top up with the emulsion and freshly grated pepper to taste.

I like the firm and curly texture of this pasta, which well combines with "rustic" sauces such as this one. I would definitely think that this style of sauce is better suited for this pasta than a tomato sauce. As a variation, I would pre-grill some tomatoes in the oven, chop them and add them to the sauce base, in order to add an extra layer of sourness. I might try that next time!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Excellent looking! I'm trying to decide what to do with a little bottle of saffron I was given - this looks like a great base.

Related Posts with Thumbnails