Saturday, January 30, 2010

Lan Zhou La Mian

This has been one of my top 5 favorite eateries for over a year. I regularly come to eat here every week or so, as I love the simplicity of northern Chinese cuisine.
This place is cheap, authentic and as good as this food can be. It's open until late and you know you can reliably come here anytime for a healthy snack.
Just yesterday I tried for the first time "Qun Zhong", a similar eatery located in Neil Street (5 minutes walk from Smith Street) which has nicer xiaolongbao and zhajang mian very similar to the ones served here. I will blog about it after my next visit.

The highlight, as the name of this eatery suggests, is their lamian. I am crazy for authentic Zhajiang Mian, and theirs certainly is one of the best. Besides the rich sauce, generous with minced pork and thinly sliced cucumber, their hand stretched noodles are something special. They have a firm bite like no others, and according to the master, this is his own secret recipe.

The xiaolongbao is juicy, thin dough, just like it's supposed to be.

I particularly like their fried dumplings (Guo Tie), mild, crispy and juicy. Highly recommended.

Another good reason to try this place is their lime juice, which is the best I had to date. Clean and sharp, delicately sweet, with a subtle bitter flavor. If you like this drink don't forget to try it there, as their version is different from the standard Singapore lime juice.

LAN ZHOU LA MIAN
19 Smith Street
Tel: +65 63271286
Open: Noon to 10.30pm daily

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails